|Parish Priest:||Fr. Brendan Lawless||(090) 974 1092|
|Originally dedicated to Saint Molaisse, the present parish is dedicated to Saint Brigid.|
The parish title of Lickmolassy and Kilmalinogue denotes the regions of Portumna, Gortanumera and Boula. From its earliest history the parish has been served by monks from Devenish, Cistercians, Dominicans and since the 19th century by diocesan clergy.
There are three Churches in the Parish
1. ST. BRIGIDíS CHURCH in Portumna Town (pictured on this page) was commissioned by the late Fr. P. Jennings, P.P., in the 1950ís, designed by Messrs. W. H. Byrne and built by John Meenaghan, Contractors, Dublin. The material used in this Church is Cut Stone and Mahogany. Most of the stone came from the old Castle. The Church was solemnly opened and blessed by Most Rev. Wlm. Philbin on May 11th 1961. Bishop Hanley of Elphin preached the sermon. The spire was added later, and built by Thomas Mitchell, Contractors. The Church has seating accommodation for about 900 people. The Mahogany Seats, Confessionals, Presses etc. were all manufactured on the site by Paul Connolly who was employed full time by Fr. Jennings till the job was completed. Most of the furnishings were donated. To the west of the Altar is the NUNSí CHAPEL which is now used by the Parishioners. The site was once the old Town Fair Green. Daily Mass is offered in the Church and week-end and Holyday Masses (Vigil 8 p.m and Morning 8 and 11 a.m.).
2. GORTANUMERA CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION is situated about 2 miles from the Town on the Tynagh road. It is a cut stone building, started in March 1935 foundation stone laid in May 1935 and formally opened and blessed by Bishop Dignan in June 1936 The stone used in the building (apart from the Spire which was completed in May 1938) came from an unused neo-Gothic Protestant Church in Ballygar purchased by Mgr. Joyce and transported stone by stone by Parishioners to Gortanumera. Most of the work on the site and building was carried out by voluntary labour. It has a beautiful stained glass window of the Ascension at the back of the Altar. Mass is offered only on Sundays & Holydays (at 9 a.m.), First Fridays (8 p.m.) and on other special occasions.
3. THE CHURCH OF Ss. PETER & PAUL, BOULA is situated about one and half miles from the Town off the Ballinasloe Road. This was once a Dominican Priory Church which was handed over to the Parish (along with the School) when the Dominicans left in 1899. Mass is offered on Sundays & Holydays (at 10 a.m.) and on special occasions.
PORTUMNA AMENITIES include first class Hotel & Country Club (The Shannon Oaks) complete with Leisure Centre; Primary and Secondary Educational facilities; Boating on the Shannon; Golf Courses; Pitch & Putt; Nature Walks through the Forest Park; B. & B.s and other Accommodation; choice of Restaurants, Shops and Pubs. Plenty of other amenities in the surrounding areas.