"KENMARE, a parish, seaport, and small town, in the barony of Glanarought, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. The parish, which is about 6 miles in length by the same in breadth, lies at the head of the Kenmare estuary, and partly within the valley of the river Roughty. The surface is wild and mountainous, with some bog. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, value £341, in the patronage of the crown. The church was erected in 1814 by subscription and loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, to which are united those of Tuosist and Templenoe. Kenmare House is the residence of the agent of Lord Lansdowne. There are several other residences in the neighbourhood. A public school is supported by Lord Lansdowne, and another by the National Board; besides which there are several day schools. The town stands near the head of Kenmare Bay, on the road from Glengariff to Killarney, about 20 miles from the latter place, and 209 S.W. of Dublin. The river, or rather estuary, admits ships of the largest size nearly up to the town, and is crossed by a suspension bridge, erected by the Marquis of Lansdowne and the Board of Works. The town, which is an improving place, is a chief police station. General sessions are held in June and December, and petty sessions once a fortnight. The bridewell and workhouse are good buildings. The trade of Kenmare is quite local. Copper, lead, and limestone are worked in the vicinity. In the neighbourhood is a cave said to have been a retreat of Fingall, and from which the place took its ancient name of Nad-fion. It was refounded with the name of Nedeen by Sir W. Petty in 1670. A little to the W. of the town are the ruins of Dunkerron Castle, built by Owen O'Sullivan, and of Cappanacoss Castle, an ancient seat of O'Sullivan More. There are also two Druidical altars. Kenmare gives title of earl to the Brownes of Castlerosse. The Kenmare Poor-law Union lies wholly within the county of Kerry, and has a fever hospital and dispensary here. It has 7 electoral divisions, and 15 guardians. The market is discontinued. Fairs are held in February, April, May, July, August, September, November, and December."
"CAPPAMORE, a hamlet in the parish of Kenmare, barony of Glenarought, in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 3 miles to the N. of Kenmare."
"CLEADY, a village in the parish of Kenmare, barony of Glenarought, in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is situated on the river Cleady, near Kenmare."
"NEDDEEN, a hamlet in the parish of Kenmare, barony of Magunihy, county Kerry, Ireland, 13 miles S. of Killarney, and near Kenmare, which was also called Neddeen when first founded in 1670 by Sir W. Petty."
"SHONAGARRY, a lead mine in the parish of Kenmare, county of Kerry, Ireland, 1 mile E. of Kenmare."