12th July, 2001
Weekly Sports


Congratulations to Jemma Crowley, Ciara Twomey, Jennifer Walsh of Douglas Hall Ladies who have got their place on the Munster Team who play in the Four Provinces Tournament next month. In the meantime the same girls along with Donna O'Leary and Linda Horgan will be playing for Cork in Waterford during the coming weeks. We would like to wish them the best of luck in all events


Minor Double
Douglas and Clyda Rovers competed in the minor non-exam Football Final. The teams had met earlier in the year ant the North Cork Team had proved victorious by a point. This was a classic village team versus a satellite town. It could be argued that this was going to be a miss-match because of the population base of both clubs. At the end of the day numbers do not win matches. It boils down to heart and commitment - skill obviously plays its part as well.
Clyda went into a three-point lead, Douglas rallied - a Connor Alcock goal gave the city side a decided advantage. Douglas were in control for the Later part of the half but led by only 1 - 8 to 0 - 6 at the interval. In the early part of the second half the North Cork team enjoyed an amount of possession but failed to convert their chances into scores. As the half progressed Douglas took control and playing well-controlled-football they won convincingly on a scoreline of 1 - 17 to 0 - 10. Best for Douglas were Niall Heffernan, Fergal O'Sullivan, Kenny Barry and Pat White. For Barry Hannohan it has certainly been an eventful few weeks as he captained both the hurlers and the footballers to victory in the Non-Exam Finals.
Senior Hurling league
Douglas entertained the Glen in the League at Douglas. The Glen led by 6 points at the break. Douglas rallied but the Glen proved victors on a scoreline of 2 - 12 to 0 - 7. Best for Douglas were David McSweeney, Joe Barry and Eamonn Sharkey.
Senior Hurling league
Erins Own played Douglas in a well-prepared pitch at Caherlag. This was a most entertaining game of hurling. The East Cork side play a lovely brand of hurling, whilst Douglas on the night may not have been able to match their skills they certainly are working hard to stay up there with the best at senior level.
Douglas were slow to settle, as Erins Own raced into a five-point lead. A goal of quality by Tomás Twomey left a point between the sides at half time. The East Cork Team got some quality points to get back into a five-point lead. Douglas showed character and commitment and reduced the deficit to a point, thanks to a second goal by Tomás Twomey. The Glounthaune boys scored two more points to win on a scoreline of 1 - 12 to 2 - 6. Best for Douglas were Teddy O'Donovan, Shane Carroll and Patrick Tobin.
U 16 B Hurling
Douglas recorded their second win in two outings with a victory over Delaneys. The sides were level at the interval. Andrew Hunt scored 1 - 1 and Douglas went on to score 2 -2 without reply in the five minute period after the interval. The Northsiders rallied - Gary Hannahan scored another late goal for Douglas. Douglas finished winners 4 - 9 to 4 - 5. Other scorers for Douglas were Finbarr O'Donovan 1-2 and Brian O'Connor 1-3.
Douglas and Fro Callaghans drew in a tough competitive match. The sides finished level on a score of 1 - 9 each. Andrew Murphy, John McCarthy and Peter Birmingham played very well.
Douglas were represented by nine players at the inter-divisional U 16 Tournament in North Cork last weekend. The Team defeated Imokily by 1 - 14 to 0 - 13 and lost to Avondu by 2-3 to 2-11. The players involved were David Dorney, Thomas Cotter, Frank Tobin, James Moylan, Colin Doyle, Kenny Barry, David O'Regan, Pat White and Mark Harrington. Colin Doyle captained the team.
U 16 A A L
13.7 Friday Douglas V Valley Rovers Home @ 8pm
Senior Hurling Championship
14.7 Douglas V Carrigdhoun Pairc Uí Rinn @ 8pm
U 16 A H L
17.7 Tuesday Douglas V Na Piarsaig away @8pm
Intermediate Munster Final
Best of luck to Barry and Gary wade who are on the Cork panel for the Munster Intermediate Hurling Final against Tipperary.
Pat Harrington PRO


Sunday July 8th
P Cashman & P Noonan - 37 / P Cashman & C Elley - 44
Congratulations to Stephen O' Leary on winning the Junior National Strokeplay
last weekend at Stackallen by 5 shots
Weekly Lotto Results
Numbers Drawn; 16, 17 & 22 - NO WINNER
Lucky Dip Winners
Marie Kelleher c/o The Club, Shiela & Mick c/o Martin O' Riordan,
Frank Casey c/o Liam O' Brien
website: http://go.to/dpap


Nemo Rangers' Senior Section
On Saturday night the U-21 footballers traveled to Castlehaven to play Beara in the quarter final of the county. Beara began well and led three points to no score after just five minutes. Nemo didn't panic and were soon level thanks to points from James Masters, Shane Marshall and Eoin Weldon. Both teams swapped scores and went in level at the break, 0-5 to 0-5. In the second half Derek Kavanagh dominated the proceedings for Nemo, and with Paul Brophy excelling at fullback, it was all one-way traffic. However, for all their dominance, Nemo were still only two points clear midway through the second half. But then the Nemo forwards found their touch and kicked a goal and four points in the last quarter, the goal coming from the boot of Richard O'Brien. The final score was 1-12 to 0-6 giving Nemo a deserved victory. Others to play well for Nemo on the night included Jamie Griffin, Ronan Murphy, Brian O'Regan, Ciaran O'Shea and Alan Hogan.
The junior 2 hurlers were unlucky to lose to White Church in the championship on Monday night. Three lucky goals before halftime from White Church gave them a 4-2 to 1-2 lead at the break. Nemo upped their performance in the second half but time ran out and White Church march on to the next round. Best for Nemo were Declan Creedon, Kieran Browne, Niall Weldon, Kevin Murphy and Kieran Weldon.

Nemo Rangers' Underage Section
On Monday night Nemo played Mayfield in a U-11 blitz. This was the first time this team donned the Nemo jersey officially. They began well with a goal from Mark Twohig after a minute. Another goal and two points before half time ensured Nemo led at the break. In the second half Liam Doyle was outstanding at centre forward scoring four points. Mark Twohig put the game beyond Mayfield with ten minutes remaining on the clock when he scored his third goal. Conan Killcoyne, Brian O'Hara, Barry O'Driscoll and Daniel O'Sullivan also played well.

Feile Peil na nOg 2001
Nemo traveled to Tipperary last weekend to represent Cork in this years Feile football finals. We played our first match against our host club Moycarky on Friday afternoon and won on a score line of seven points to one. Later that evening the boys took part in the Feile parade through Thurles to Semple Stadium. Our first match on Saturday was against a weak Thurles team. We won this game 5-9 to no score. The final game in the group was against St. Bridget's from Dublin. This game was very competitive and conceding a goal either side of half time proved to be our downfall. They kept going to the end but lost by 3-4 to 1-3. The lads trained hard throughout the year preparing for this competition and the club can be very proud of
them. The panel was captained by Ciaran McGrath and the others to travel were Mark O'Donovan, Shane McCarthy, Robbie Allen, Colin O'Brien, Keith Donnellan, Alan Meany, Gary Coughlan, Eoghan Hearn, Ricky Kenny, Andrew Morrissey, Philip Hogan, Dermot Collins, David Kearney, Shane Horgan, Roy Heaphy, Darragh Mehigan, Tom Falvey, Raymond O'Keeffe, David O'Mahony, Graham Cummins, Stephen Morgan, Robbie O'Sullivan, Ian Nolan, Ian Potts, James O'Mahony, Ian Foley, Owen O'Leary, Derek Dalton, Jason Meehan, Patrick McCarthy and Colm O'Mahony.


Following the recent success of the Corinthian Boys Under Nine squad in capturing the Southside League and Cup double, this week it was the turn of the Club's Under Eight squad, as they also chased the coveted League and Cup double.
They started their week with a Cup Semi Final against Wilton and having survived some early Wilton pressure they took control and goals by Ian James (2), Alan Cronin (2) and Mark Parks gave Corinthian's a comfortable 5 - 0 victory. It was great to see Alan Cronin back in action following a serious hand injury.
As they had already qualified for the League Final our Under Eight's now faced two finals against old adversary Kilreen Celtic.

Corinthian Boys 2 - Kilreen Celtic 1
The League Final was first on the agenda and the match was to provide some great entertainment for the very large crowd. Corinthians opened brightly with Cian Mc whinney and Kevin O' Connor on top in midfield and they went in front , when Brian Forde scored from close range. After the break, Kilreen came more into the game, but with the Corinthian's defence soaking up some intense Kilreen pressure, it looked for a long time as if Brian's goal would decide the issue, but Kilreen never gave up the ghost and with five minutes remaining grabbed a deserved equaliser. In a dramatic finale Corinthians were not to be denied and in a quick breakaway Mark Parks was on hand to fire home the winning goal.
The two sides were back in action again the following night, this time in the Cup Final.

Corinthian Boys 2 - Kilreen Celtic 2 (Corinthians won 3 - 1 on penalties)
If the League Final had proved enjoyable this was undoubtedly one of the best games seen at this level for many a long day. A huge crowd witnessed a titanic struggle as both sides gave their all in search of victory. From the kick off the game swung from end to end as both sides looked for the vital break through. As in the League Final Corinthians were to score first when James Furlong headed home a fine Mark Parks corner. Kilreen determined to erase the disappointment of the League Final fought back and forced a deserved equaliser just after half time. Despite several near misses there was no further scoring in normal time and the game went into extra time. Corinthians jumped ahead again in the first period of extra time when Ciaran Twohig scored from the edge of the area. However, Kilreen were now playing the better football and they drew level for a second time with only two minutes left on the clock.
It was now down to the dreaded penalty shoot out where Corinthians goalkeeper Cian Hammond was to emerge as the hero saving three of the four Kilreen penalties, while Mark Parks, Alan Cronin and Kevin O'Connor converted the three Corinthian penalties. So the Under Eight's emulated the achievements of the Corinthians Under Nine and Under Eleven squads this season by capturing the League and Cup double. .
Congratulations to the management team of Kieran O'Donovan, Brian O'Connor and Alf Parks and to all the players concerned for a truly tremendous effort. Congratulations a;so to the players and management of Kilreen Celtic, who were most unfortunate not to pick up one of the two trophies.
This was the fifth year in a row that the Club had captured one of the two Under Eight trophies, surely a promising sign for the future. This years Corinthian's Under Eight squad was as follows :-
Cian Hammond, Luke Connolly, Ciaran Twohig, James Furlong, David O'Donovan, Ryan Levis, Robert Lyons, Cian McWinney, Alan Cronin, Kevin O'Connor, Brian Forde, Ian James, Mark Parks, Robert Bennett, Michael Forrest and Andrew Hayes.

7 a-side
The curtain will finally come down on the Schoolboy's season next Saturday when the Club's U8 and U9 squads take part in the Semi Finals and hopefully Finals of the Schoolboys League 7 a-side Competition. Best of luck to all concerned.
Finally if you would like some more information about the Club's under age section please log in to the Club's website at www.collegecorinthians.com or contact Terry O'Donovan at 4891257 or Ger Kilcummins at 4363456.


On Saturday last the annual under 11 Camogie Blitz for the Christy Martin Cup was held in glorious sunshine at Douglas GAA Club. Teams from Coursey Rovers, Mallow, Bandon and Douglas took part. All teams played each other and after some very exciting games with each team given their all Douglas emerged victorious in what was a famous 3 in a row win. Douglas showing great skill and commitment. They won all their three games in impressive fashion while there was some star performances within the team, victory was achieved with every member of the panel playing their part. The committee of the Douglas Camogie Club would like to thank everybody who helped in any way to make it a very successful day.

U -14 League
Douglas took on the Glen a tough encounter and a hard fought game. Douglas took a early lead with a goals from Eilish Desmond and Rachel O'Sullivan followed by a point by Jenny O'Donovan. Glen rallied to score a goal, and at the interval Douglas lead by 2.1 to 1 goal. In the second half the Glen rallied and with 2 late goals ran out winners 4.1 to 2.1. The score would have been much higher only for the excellent goal keeping of Hillary O'Connor. It is hard to name out individuals in this game as it was one of Douglas's best performances. Well done to all.

Community Games:
Community Games to take place on Saturday 14th July in the Farm Grounds, Curraheen, Bishopstown.


In division two we are beginning to see an outcome at the top of the table Buttevant are top with an impressive list of results so far this season. They had a week off this week due to the unfortunate closure of Kilumney soccer club who are no longer participating in the league this season. However all the other teams in this division were playing tonight. Carrigaline held Millstreet to a 2 - 2 draw. This was a very competitive game with both teams having good opportunities. However a fair result on the night was the draw. Douglas Hall took another 3 points as they defeated Rathcoole by and impressive 5-1.
In division one Coursey continued their winning streak when they beat Hibs 3-2. It is now looking likely that Coursey will be joining the premier league next season.
In the premier league there was a fantastic clash between the two top teams. Leaders Wilton took on second place CSO. Wilton began the game the stronger of the two sides. However as Wilton pushed forward CSO began to break down the wings allowing them to assert their own pressure on the Wilton defense. With both teams beginning to take control and play their own game this allowed the game to develop into a very open and entertaining fixture. Both teams had good opportunities on goal the most notable for the CSO was a great cross by Sinead O' Brien which was met my Majella O' Brien, however good positioning by the Wilton keeper kept the scoreline blank. The game continued with great fluidity and variety of passing. However 10 minutes before the break a CSO defensive error allowed Wilton to break the deadlock and score their first of the night. After the break the game continued with great pace. CSO began to pile on the pressure on the Wilton defense however they were unable to break down Wilton and were further punished when Wilton broke free and scored their second of the night. Wilton eventually won the game 2-0 however there were some fantastic displays of football by both sides on the night.
Ranger player Passage in a one sided affair coming out 5-0 winners. This now places them 2 points behind the leaders Wilton. Finally College Corinthians defeated Ballincollig in a strong performance by 8-2.
A special word of congratulations must go to our two Cork teams who one their first round games of the National Intermediate Cup. College Corinthians defeated Benfica of Waterford on Sunday last. Also Coursey defeated Boris from Tipperrary in an enthralling encounter 4-3 in extra time.

Back to Home Page