19th July, 2001
Weekly Sports


Douglas Hall Girls Under 16
Douglas 6 - V - Wilton 1
Douglas Hall's last game of the season ended with our girls going out with all guns firing and Donna O'Leary leading the way with a hat trick. Naomi O'Leary, Jennifer Walshe and Caroline Hawks were the other scorers. A superb performance from everyone on the squad.
The squad were; Jennifer Walshe (Capt.) Maire Moyihan, Laura Healy, Elaine Flanary, Doireann Murray, Aoife Magner, Donna O;Leary, Louise Martin, Naomi o'Leary, Caroline Hawks, Dannille Healy, Catherine Hayden, Ashling Collins and the Under 14's who helped out; Alison Kennedy, sarah walshe, Mary Barrett, Kate Delaney Emma Hughes, Well done Girls! All the best for next season .

Douglas Hall Ladies
4th July ,away to Rathcoole in which we won comfortably 5-1. Another three points in the bag in our bid for the League.
Followed up by a typical cup game (11/7/01). The Hall took on Lee Valley, who were on top in the first half, with the Hall finding themselves down 2-0 at the break.
In the second half we turned the game around with a couple of changes.. Sub Caroline Hawks pulled back a goal which lifted the girls and a fight was on for a place in the semi's. Then Ann Collins scored with a thundering header to make the score 2-2 at full-time. In the extra time Donna O'Leary put us ahead , then Naomi O'Leary made it 4-2, which was the final score


Mon 2nd July 1st A. Hodgins - V. - Irene Riordan / 2nd Marie Powell - V. - A Mulcahy
Tues 3rd July AM 1st E. O'Neill -V.- B. O'Sullivan / 2nd L. Scott - V.- J. Cahill
Tues 3rd July PM 1st D.White - V - L.O'Hanlon / 2nd M. Walsh - V. - P. Ahern
Wed. 4th July AM 1st A. Auchinicoss - V. - A. Mulcahy / 2nd A. Reid - V. - J. Murphy
Wed 4th July PM 1st T. Cocoran - V. - O. Olden / 2nd L. O'Hanlon - V. - E. Henedrick
Thurs 5th July 1st Mary V. Dave Walsh / 2nd T. Purcell - V. - C.Halligan
Fri 6th July 1st F. Cunnane - V. - J. Behan / 2nd M.Kelly - V. - R. Russell


Sunday July 8th (Pat Harrington Pro)
Douglas disappoint in Senior Hurling Championship.
Douglas played Carrigdhoun in the Senior Hurling Championship at Pairc uí Rinn on Sunday night. For the opening quarter the SouthEast lads were completely in charge as they led Douglas a merry chase. Carrigdhoun were unable to translate their superiority into scores. David McSweeney and Gary Wade were strong at the heart of the Douglas defence. Tomás Twomey worked hard up front whilst Gary McLoughlin had his moments. Douglas rallied to go in 0-6 to 0-4 in arrears at the interval.
Douglas started the second half in whirlwind fashion and scored four unanswered points. At this stage they were hurling with great heart and no little confidence. Alas this was to be the end of their scoring as Carrigdhoun hit eleven unanswered points to win on a scoreline of 0-17 to 0-8. For Douglas, Fergal Hayes gave a magnificent display in the second half.
Douglas and Glen Rovers played in this game at the Glen field. A John 0'Keeffe goal gave Douglas the perfect start. The Glen rallied with a couple of fine points- Douglas led 1-4 to 0-5 at the break.
The Glen goaled early in the second half points by Derek Hayes, Andrew Larkin and John Ross Hunt kept Douglas in front. The northsiders scored two minutes from time to seal victory on a scoreline of 2-6 to 1-8.Best for Douglas were Joe Barry, John Ross Hunt.
Douglas and Carrigaline played in wind swept Douglas. The South East boys played with a howling wind the first half. Carrigaline led 1-9 to 0-0 at the interval and goaled a minute into the second half Douglas responded in a very positive fashion and scored 2-4 without reply in a five minute period. Alas this was the end of the Douglas scoring as Carrig scored one more goal.B.T.O'Callaghan, Peter Casey and Barry Fitzgerald served Douglas best.
Douglas and St Vincents played this game in Douglas.The first quarter was even enough. Though playing against the wind Douglas began to take control - an Ian 0'Regan goal put them in a comfortable lead at half time. With the aid of the wind after the interval Douglas were never troubled and were convincing winners at the final whistle. Mark 0'Callaghan,Eoin Carrol and Kenny Barry worked very hard for Douglas.
Under 16 Hurling
Douglas and Valleys played in this A Grade league encounter. The SouthEast team goaled in the first quarter and this score proved to be the difference between the teams for the opening half. Douglas struggled to cope with the tenacity of the Valley and the wet conditions. The highlights of the first half from the Douglas point of view was the magnificent striking of points by Ray Keating from 65's and the fine goalkeeping of David O'Connell.
Douglas upped their performance the second half and a Paddy White goal had the side's level midway through the half.
Once more Valley Rovers rose their game and went into a two-point lead - a Mark Harrington goal at a minute into injury time won the game on a scoreline of 2-7 to 1-9.
This was a game Douglas hardly deserved to win and they will have to show a huge improvement if they harbour any hopes of winning the Championship. Frank Tobin, Colin Lahive and Thomas Cotter had their moments in what was essentially a disappointing team performance.
Cork City
The Munster Inter-County U 16 Championship was held in Limerick last weekend. Cork was represented by teams from the city and county, Kerry by North and South - the other teams were Co. Tipperary, Co. Clare, and Co. Limerick.
Douglas had seven players on the Cork City Team against Clare in the opening match, which was lost on a scoreline of 3-9 to 1-12. In the second game six players played - the game was won on a scoreline of 2-13 to 2-4. Cork now play Co. Limerick next Saturday in Rathkeale at 2pm.
The players involved were David O'Regan, Frank Tobin, James Moylan, David Dorney, Colin Doyle(Captain), Patrick White, Kenny Barry (inj), Thomas Cotter and Mark Harrington


Last Friday night the Intermediate hurlers played Aghada in the league. Both teams got some good scores in the first half and it was Aghada who led by the minimum at the break, 0-5 to 0-4. In the second half Nemo upped their performance and were soon in the lead. By the final whistle they had stretched their lead and ran out deserving winners, 0-11 to 0-7. Nemo were best served by Paul Brophy, Niall Geary, John Coogan, Declan Creedon and Stephen Calnan.
Also on Friday night the junior 2 hurlers continued their league campaign against a very strong Na Piarsaigh side. Playing against the wind in the opening half Nemo struggled to get to grips with the conditions and found themselves well behind at the break. The second half however went much better for the team, with the defence and the midfield tightening up. The forwards too gradually got into a scoring rhythm but it wasn't enough in the end. Best for Nemo were Tommy Cripps, Eoin Weldon, Keith O'Callaghan, Rory Duggan and Gerard Dinan.
On Monday evening the minor hurlers were in action against Ballinhassig in the league. Nemo began well scoring an early goal through Paudie O'Shea. But then Ballinhassig scored two goals and three points to give themselves a five point lead. Nemo responded well and were level at the break thanks to some good play from their forwards. In the second half both teams swapped the lead on a number of occasions and it was Nemo who led by a point with about two minutes remaining.

However two late pointed frees from Ballinhassig gave them a one point victory. Kieran French, Paudie O'Shea and Fiachra O'Leary all played well.

Douglas Man wins Road Bowling Final

Not since Liam Higgins has a Douglas man won a Bol Cumann na hEireann Bowling Championship. But last Wednesday night on the Crosshaven Road this changed as Der McCarthy beat Roy Loftus in the City Division Final.

The score got under way before a large attendance with a stake of £360. McCarthy won the toss and elected to throw first but failed to make the ‘top of the hill’ while Loftus failed to take advantage and won the tip by a mere couple of yards. With Frank Murphy showing McCarthy excellent road, the Douglas man soon gained his stride and raised a bowl of odds on his third throw, but missed going down to ‘the bridge’, which would have given him almost two bowls of odds.

With the ‘big hill’ in front of him, Der didn’t feel so secure specially against the experience of his opponent, with half of the score still to play. It was then that Christy Donovan called on bowling great, Pat Flavin to go back and advise McCarthy where to run the bowl to maximum effect. In record throwing Der, went to the ‘bad bend’ in four bowls and by now the score was as good as over but Loftus wasn’t conceding with another four shots to throw.

Although Roy Loftus brought down the odds some way it was Der McCarthy in the driving seat winning by a bowl of odds at the finish. Liam O’Keeffe of Bol Cumann na hEireann presented Der with the Christy McSweeney Cup to the delight of his many supporters. Later at the celebrations in St. Columbas Hall where the local Bowling Club.

Back to Home Page