25th July, 2002
Weekly Sports


The season 2001/2002 will be remembered very fondly by the members of College Corinthians AFC. The Club won no less than 10 Schoolboy trophies, including 3 Premier League titles, as well as reaching two National Cup Semi Finals. Three of those trophies were won in the final competition of the season, the Southside Leagues, where our Under Seven’s, Under Eight’s, Under Nine’s showed plenty of promise for the future. It was particularly pleasing to see our U7s take their League title as it was the first time the Club has ever won this particular trophy.
Aston Villa
The other exciting news for the members of College Corinthians was the official link up between College Corinthians and English Premier League side Aston Villa. As part of this link up it is envisaged that players, coaches and teams from Corinthians will travel to Birmingham to the Aston Villa Youth Academy on a regular basis.
As an initial step in this process, four members of last years highly successful Under Twelve team will travel over to Aston Villa in early August. The four players concerned, David Bevan, David Meyler, Richard O’Donovan and Jamie Drennan were part of the Corinthians Under Twelve team which won the local league and cup double this year and reached the semi final of the National Cup before losing to eventual winners St. Joseph’s Boys from Dublin.
New Season
Training for the new season is due to start in early August with an exact starting date to be finalised. The Club will have 12 teams in the Cork Schoolboys League next season, with 3 Under Eleven teams, 2 teams at each age level from U12 to U15 and one Under Sixteen side. All our teams are looking to strengthen their squads for the new season and if anyone would like to join the Club then they should contact one of the following:

U10 - Brian O’Connor 4295506
U11 - Ger Kilcummins 4363456
U12 - Joe O’Connell 4364576
U13 - Danny Drennan 4363602
U14 - Neil Daley 4962704
U15 - Richie Kenny 4966392
U16 - Roy O’Donovan 4291899

Our Saturday Morning coaching sessions for the Under Seven to Under Ten age groups will resume again on Saturday August 24th.


National Cup Munster Semi-Final
Lifford 3 Douglas 0

On Saturday we travelled up to Ennis to play a Clare team called Lifford in the Semi Final of the Munster Section of the National CupDue to holidays and injuries we were missing a few of our regulars hut the girls that stood in did a great job for us Lifford were a well organised side and were always going to be hard to beat. Despite the scoreline our girls played very well and never gave up. Again this week Grace Meade and Mary Barrett had an outstanding games. Also Carissa Murphy in goal made several excellent saves. Jenny O'Donovan, Sarah Walshe and Grace Mulqueen battled hard in mid field. Eilish Desmond played very well in her first game with Douglas Hall.
Now that we are out of the cup we will be starting training in mid August for the league which is due to start in September. We are always looking for new players so if you are interested phone Nick on 087-2873788.

Finally l’d like to say a Big Thank You to all the supporters who travelled to Ennis to help us out on the day.


With no back door system in place, the Junior team were very determined not to be caught out in the first round of the championship against Glen Rovers.
From the start the Douglas girls took control and had scored two goals within 5 minutes from Louise O'Regan and Laura Walsh. Further scores followed with Claire Barry notching up a goal and two points, Fiona O'Donovan one point and Amanda O'Regan, making a welcome return after injury, getting three more points. The half-time score of 3-6 to no score.
The second half started with another great goal from Lousie O'Regan, Claire Barry got another three points, Amanda O'Regan a goal and Fiona O'Donovan another point giving a final tally of 5-10 to no score.
While the scoreline looks one-sided the backs got plenty to do with Mary Harrington marshalling the defence, young Lousie Sheehan making some good interceptions and Anne-Marie Downey clearing anything that came her way.
At mid-field Fiona McSweeney and Helen O'Mahony dominated while up front Jenny O'Donovan and Carmel Downey while not getting on the scoresheet provided plenty of ammunition for the others. Team captain Gema Carroll played a captains part. Overall this was a fine team performance and we are now through to the semi-final against neighbours Carrigaline. This will be a tough game as Carrig showed great skill in their first round. Douglas have been going well for a few years now and could go all the way. Well done to all concerned.


Hosting the National Mixed Foursomes - September 2002
Saturday July 20th P Murphy, K O’ Callaghan & J Ward – 40 2/3
Sunday July 21st B Collins & G O’ Connell – 41 ½ / D O’ Sullivan & E Ryan - 47
CONGRATULATIONS - Well done to Cathal Foley on
retaining the club matchplay. Well done to Linda O’ Donovan for winning the Munster Matchplay
Visit our NEW website: douglaspitchandputt.com
Weekly Lotto Results - Numbers Drawn: 3, 12 & 17 - NO WINNER
O’ Donovan’s Off Licence Lucky Dip Winners: John Cudigan c/o South County, Mary Twomey c/o South County, Aiden Boyle c/o Brian Downey, Rita Hanover c/o Jim Hanover
John Hanover c/o Jim Hanover.
Tonight’s Jackpot: €2,730 - Venue: The Rochestown Inn



Report By Pat Harrington
Douglas and Bishopstown met in the championship. Wind assisted Douglas got off to a flyer with two goals in the first ten minutes courtesy of John O’Keeffe and Thomas Sheehan. Mark Kennedy gave the forwards a plentiful supply of ball and Brian Horgan kept the ball going at centre forward, While Josie Barry brought all his experience to bear at centre back. A third goal by Tom Flynn gave Douglas a 3 – 3 to 0 – 3 interval lead.
On resumption of play Douglas were under severe pressure playing against the wind. The backs in particular were under the cosh. Alan Joyce was mighty at full back – young Colin Lahive and Pádraig Greaney made big impacts on the game with their forceful hurling, while Joe Larkin was very dependable in goal. John O’Keeffe was moved to centre forward and he won good possession. Declan Reidy was introduced as a substitute and scored a fine point. It was great to see Declan back after a long layoff through injury. The forward division disappointed throughout the second half scoring just two points. Douglas held out for a victory on a scoreline of 3 – 5 to 0 – 7. I know the selectors were pleased with the victory, and rightly so. The draw for the second round has not been made as yet.
Douglas (2) played St. Vincent’s first squad in the semi-final of the A grade football championship. Douglas scored he opening point and after that the Saints took over; their midfield, centre back and centre forward were very strong and imposed themselves on the game. The d Douglas goal led a charmed life at times. St. Vincent’s led by 1 – 7 to 0 – 1 after twenty minutes. Douglas were thrown a lifeline when Colin Lahive goaled. The half time score was 1 – 7 to 1 – 3 in favour of Vincent’s.
The northsiders once more took control and knocked over four unanswered points. A number of positional changes helped Douglas to respond with some fine points. David O’Donovan moved to midfield and scored two fine points. David O’Regan transferred to centre back and was much more involved, with goalkeeper Shane Forde playing very well. Eventhough Douglas gave it their all, St. Vincent’s proved too strong and won by 1 – 13 to 1 – 6. Others to impress were Seamas Crowley and Andrew Shinnick.

At this stage the match against Avondhu has been well documented in the local press. There may be a lot of young talent in the club but it will take time for these players to mature and develop – time to take stock.

Douglas played Blackrock in round four of the league. The Rockies had the better of the first half and led by 3 – 4 to 1 – 5 at the break. Blackrock were still in front by 3 – 7 to 1 – 8 with ten minutes to go. Douglas rallied with goals from Diarmuid Murphy and Brian O’Connor leaving the minimum between the sides. Try as they might Douglas were unable to get the equaliser and Blackrock won by 4 – 6 to 3 – 8. Fionn O’Brien, Eoin Heffernan and Peter Casey played well.

Seandún under 16 Footballers won the Munster Intercounty Plate competition in Limerick last weekend. Jonathan lane, Stephen Bermingham and Eoin Cadogan were the Douglas representatives in the team.
There has been a lot of confusion over the date for the Minor Football Premier final; at this point in time it may go back to the end of August. The Under 21 Championship will probably start in the next week.
A speedy recovery to Derek Hayes who sustained an injury during the senior hurling championship game.
At the time of going to press we don’t know the outcome of the controversy regarding the substitutions made in the Munster Football final but we heartily congratulate Ronan McCarthy on his contribution to the victory.

Back to Home Page