The church of Doo is a very beautiful and substantial country church, built in Gothic style, and it replaced an old thatched chapel which was close-by. Near the old chapel, there was a mass-rock where mass was said in penal times. The present church is dedicated to St. Joseph.
Report in the Sligo Champion of 27/11/1880:
The new chapel at Doo, built at a cost of 600, will be solemnly dedicated to God on Sunday, 5th December 1880. The sermon will be preached by Most Rev. Dr. McCormack, Lord bishop of Achonry and the good and generous are earnestly requested to be present in person or by their subscriptions.
Those who are or may be subscribers to this chapel are entitled to a description. It is 88' in length and consists of a chancel 18X16 feet, and nave with belfry 70X24 feet, the roof is of open timber, stained and varnished; the window is of lead lights with ventilators; the doors and windows are Gothic; at the end of the nave is a gallery for choir and children; the doors are provided with timber porches on the inside and the floor (one third of which is furnished with new seats) is made of coal-tar in a bed of good mortar.
The building was commenced last May and many thanks are due to Mr. Patrick Harrington, the contractor, for the manner he hastened and executed the work. It is somewhat difficult at any time to raise funds for building a chapel, but it was quite impossible this year owing to the impoverished condition of the country. Yet, with all this, it was necessary to proceed with the work because the old wretched thatched chapel, which this new one replaces, had to be allowed to tumble down, as the timbers were all rotten, the walls split and cracked, and several warnings were given of the risk to life which was being seen