He then invited the Sisters of St, John of God in Wexford to come to Ballymote. Sisters Wilfrid(Wexford) & Jerome(Sligo), who had both just returned from Australia, came to Ballymote in1952, while Sister Roch came the following year.
They came to Castle Lodge in 1953, and opened a Maternity Nursing Home there, admitting the first patient on the 13 January of that year. During this period other people were also admitted for care of minor illnesses and for convalescence. In 1977 they converted it into a Geriatric Nursing home for which there was a great need.
The new nursing home was built in the 1980s and Castle Lodge was demolished to make place for the new convent building for the sisters.
The Sisters continued in their administration of the Nursing Home until 2001. Throughout this time there were a number of new building projects and redevelopment of the facilities to meet changing needs. In 1988 some of the land was donated for a nominal charge to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul for the provision of housing for elderly people of the district needing accomodation closer to care facilities and other necessary services.