{History title}Page 4 of 4
The local Cattle Mart was commenced in late 1958 by Mr. Francis Magan who was one of the pioneers of Marts in Ireland. He also had one in Athlone and Ballymahon after mooting the idea in Mullingar. His father, a native of Four Roads, Co. Roscommon was an organiser for the co-operative movement founded by Sir Horace Plunket at the beginning of the century. The old road from here to Longford went through Bracklin and Lisnanagh before the straight road from the town was constructed by Mr. Bond in 1806, an agent for the Edgeworth estate. When the railway reached Edgeworthstown in 1850, it was known as the Mullingar and Longford Railway Company later to be a branch line of the Midland and Great Western Railway Company of Ireland.
During the past 40 years or so considerable changes have taken place in or near Edgeworthstown reflecting changes to modern times. The old Fair Green at the corner of the Longford and Ballymahon roads where tolls were taken for the sale of animals has not been used for many years and the monthly fairs on the streets have disappeared from the opening of the Cattle Wait in 1959. A small factory for the manufacture of Souvenirs was in operation for a few years in the 1960's. It was run by two Hungarian nationals who came to Ireland after the revolution in Hungary in 1956. The Green is now a community run amenity area providing Tennis, Basketball and soccer. Several new housing schemes have been completed. The first, Marian Avenue, of 20 houses was built in the early 1950's by a County Mayo firm. Later two schemes of dwellings were erected which were called Devine Cresent, named after the late Hughie Devine a very well known character and one of the stalwart supporters of the local G.A.A. club. Other private houses were built or renovated over the years in Church St. Granard St., on the Dublin Rd. and at Bracklin. Needed extensions have been added to the Manor Nursing Home where a new Church and Mortuary have recently been built. On the business side many of the family type shops of one sort or another have gone due to deaths or sale and some are now specialising in only one form of business. There are now two new Supermarkets in the town which is also well served with modern garages. Two well run factories are in full operation at the outskirts of the town on the Longford Rd. There is also a Joinery factory located in what was known as "Quinns Field". The latest development, has been the demolition of some old houses on the south side of Granard St.
Return to Main Page