Shoto Niju Kun
- Karate-do wa rei ni hajimari, rei ni owaru koto wo wasuruna.
Karate-do begins with courtesy and ends with courtesy.
- Karate ni sente nashi.
There is no first attack in Karate
- Karate wa gi no tasuke.
Karate is a great assistance to justice.
- Mazu jiko wo shire, shikoshite tao wo shire.
Know yourself first, and then others.
- Gijutsu yori shinjutsu.
Spirit first: techniques second.
- Kokoro wa hanatan koto wo yosu.
Always Be ready to release your mind.
- Wazawai wa getai ni shozu.
Misfortune always comes out of idleness.
- Dojo nomino karate to omou na.
Do not think that karate training is only in the dojo.
- Karate no shugyo wa issho de aru.
It will take your entire life to learn Karate; there is no limit.
- Arai-yuru mono wo karate-ka seyo, soko ni myo-mi ari.
Put your everyday living into karate and you will find the ideal state of existence.
- Karate wa yu no goto shi taezu natsudo wo ataezareba moto no mizu ni kaeru.
Karate is just like hot water. If you do not give heat constantly, it will again become cold water.
- Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.
Do not think you have to win. Think, rather, that you do not have to lose.
- Tekki ni yotte tenka seyo.
Victory depends on your ability to distinguish vulnerable points from invulnerable ones.
- Tattakai wa kyo-jutsu no soju ikan ni ari.
The battle is according to how you maneuver guarded and unguarded. Move according to your opponent.
- Hito no te ashi wo ken to omoe.
Think of the hands and feet as swords.
- Danshi mon wo izureba hyakuman no tekki ari.
When you leave home, think that you have numerous opponents are waiting for you. It is your behavior that invites trouble from them.
- Kamae wa shoshinsha ni ato wa shizentai.
Beginners must master low stance and posture; natural body position for advanced.
- Kata wa tadashiku jissen wa betsu mono.
Practicing a Kata is one thing and engaging in a real fight is another.
- Chikara no kyojaku, karada no shinshuku, waza no kankyu wo wasaruna.
Do not forget 1-strength and weakness of power, 2-stretching and contraction of the body, 3-slowness and speed of techniques. Apply these correctly.
- Tsune ni shinen kufu seyo.
Always think and devise ways to live the precepts every day.