Welcome Page

About our Area

About our School





Blackrock is a small town beside the sea. It was discovered in the 18th century. The people from the village made money by selling cockles from the sea. Later in the 19th century Blackrock became known as a seaside resort. At this time hotels were built which offered rooms to visitors. The Clermont Arms was built in 1860. In 1851 the sea wall was built to stop flooding. Blackrock was well known for its salt water baths.

In 1899 St.Oliver Plunketts school was built. The Catholic Church of the same name was built in 1919.

The Pavilion Ballroom at the south end of the village was opened in June 1929. For over 50 years people from all over Louth came to dance in this hall.

In 1962 the swimming pool was opened in Blackrock. It was a salt water pool and it could hold 500 people. Sadly in 1995 it was knocked down and flats were built.

In the year 2000, there are many bars, shops, restaurants on the main street and about 6000 people live in the Blackrock area, a big change from 150 years ago.




Welcome Page | About Our Area | About our School | Activities | Classes

Our e-mail address is: